This online symposium provides an informed dialogue between experts, academics, and practitioners on human rights and sustainable development
As countries consider new policies and laws for post-pandemic recovery which can advance the global SDGs, informed dialogue among experts, academics, and practitioners, building skills in rights-based approaches and engaging SDG-focused institutions, offers a key opportunity for learning and impact.
The 2020 Online International Symposium on Human Rights, the SDGs & the Law convene leading experts in human rights, the SDGs and related fields with emerging scholars to chart a way forward that bridges the gaps in research and practice.
Co-hosted by the McGill Centre for Human Rights and Legal Pluralism and the Centre International Sustainable Development Law (CISDL), in partnership with the University of Montreal Law Faculty, the University of Waterloo School of Environment, Enterprise and Development (SEED), the Balsillie School of International Affairs (BSIA), the University of Chile Law Faculty, the University of Costa Rica Law Faculty, the International Law Association of Canada, the McGill Journal of Sustainable Development Law (MJSDL), Canada's Sustainable Development Solutions Network and other world-class universities and institutions, this one-day online symposium activates opportunity for impact!
Confirmed co-hosts and 2020 Gonthier Lecturers include:
- Dr. Elizabeth Mrema (Acting Executive-Secretary of the Convention on Biological Diversity and Director of Environmental Law, United Nations Environment Programme)
- Hon Justice Prof Marcel Szabo (Judge, Constitutional Court of Hungary and former Ombudsman for Future Generations)
- Rt Hon. Chief Justice Richard Wagner, PC, Supreme Court of Canada.
- Prof. François Crépeau (Director, Centre for Human Rights and Legal Pluralism, Hans & Tamar Oppenheimer Chair in Public International Law, McGill University)
- Prof. Nandini Ramanujam (Executive Director & Program Director, McGill Centre for Human Rights and Legal Pluralism)
- Prof. Marie-Claire Cordonier-Segger (Senior Director, CISDL / Leverhulme Trust Visiting Professor, University of Cambridge / Full Professor of Law, University of Waterloo)
- Prof. Alexandra Harrington (Lead Counsel & Research Director, CISDL / Fulbright Canada Chair in Global Governance, BSIA)
- Prof. Payam Akhavan (Professor McGill University)
- Ms. Janet McIntyre (Deputy Director-General, Justice Canada).
For more information and registration, go here. This virtual event is free to attend.